Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My personal scale

As of late, I've felt a bit like a natural disaster. I know that part, if not most, of that feeling is really off-base and very self-centered, but to a certain extent, it really feels like I should have my own personal destructive force scale.

Hurricanes have the Saffir-Simpson scale.
Tornadoes have the Fujita scale.
Earthquakes have the Richter scale.

And I should have the Kim scale. But mine would most certainly have to have a better name than that. I need a creative name, people. Any tasteful ideas should be documented in the "Comments" section. I'm being very trusting here, by the way. Only serious entries will be considered.

Ok, so I'm kind of kidding. But kind of not. Do you ever feel that most of the stuff you touch begins to tarnish rather than turn into gold? I'm sure the feeling will pass, and don't get me wrong, I'm not staying up at night pondering the not-so-Midas touch I seem to have lately. At least I haven't spilled anything on myself or fallen down any stairs as of late. But there's always time for that silliness, you know.

So anyhow, things are turning around a bit, and for that I'm glad. Now just a few things are left that keep striking the same chord in my mind. One of those being the reminder to wait on the Lord. We are told to wait on the Lord more times than I care to count at this late hour. But the one that currently resonates with me is this,

Out of the depths I cry to You, O Lord;
O Lord, hear my voice.
Let Your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
If You, O Lord, kept a record of sins,
O Lord, who could stand?
But with You there is forgiveness,
Therefore You are feared.
I wait for the Lord, my soul waits
And in His word I put my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
More than watchmen wait for the morning,
More than watchmen wait for the morning.
O Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
For with the Lord is unfailing love
and with Him is full redemption.
He Himself will redeem Israel from all their sins.
Psalm 130
So we're told to wait on the Lord. We're instructed to do that a lot. Why? Because it seems to be one of the hardest things that we have to do. We want everything now. We want to know everything, be everywhere, do everything, and control everything. But He tells us to wait. Not just for nothing, but for Him. So wait I will (or at least I'll try...).

No comments: