Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Catching my breath, albeit briefly

So I have about 9 minutes before my next meeting, and I figured, why not post? There's been a lot going on in the past week. A lot. But it's been a good type of busy, accompanied all to often by a good type of tired, I guess. But I think I'm finally caught up on sleep and am back in full swing.

This week is marked with much work to be done at work, and much work to be done outside of the office.

And as irony would have it, now Texas is facing a hurricane. We've had a good time joking around with my friend Rita here at work, but in all seriousness, several of my good friends in the Houston area are evacuating. Luckily, some of them will likely land in Austin, so I'm thankful for that. Though I'm hoping that the evacuations turn out to be simply a precautionary measure and Houston/Galveston/Dickinson don't get hit too hard.

But alas, things like this happen. Although the last time I remember a hurricane coming close to my backyard was about 1988 with Hurricane Gilbert. I was in elementary school at the time, so they were showing us how to hide under our desks, and how to evacuate the building if need be. Rather than get scared, we got the biggest kick out of imagining hiding from flying debris in our classroom. I even remember eating lunch under our tables because we thought it was cool. Wow - we were awesome back in the day.

Now, of course, it's a bit different. I can comprehend the destruction that a mass of swirling clouds in the warm gulf can conjure up. Friends in Houston, you're welcome to come crash at my house this weekend. Be safe!

No comments: