Thursday, June 30, 2005

Rant about my job...

I've been sad at work lately. I honestly think that I *may* be getting an ulcer, but that wouldn't be so fun. And I may be a bit of a hypochondriac….but nevertheless, my stomach really hurts when I get stressed out. I know I'm not supposed to be anxious (Phil. 4), but it comes and goes.

I'm sad because I see people making decisions and commitments that directly impact the well-being and "work / life balance" of other people. And I think that I've become one of the people who is making those decisions. Or maybe it just feels like I am…the verdict is still out.
There's a system that's supposed to work. We're supposed to trade things off. But I've been stripped of all of my supposed leverage.

Ideal Situation:
Me: "You want A and B, but I can only give you A or B. Not both."
You: "Well, it's true that I do want both A and B. But B is more important, so I want B."
Me: "Deal."

The way it really tends to work:
Me: "You want A and B, but I can only give you A or B. Not both."
You: "Well, I HAVE TO HAVE A AND B."
Me: "I understand your needs, but we can only do so much with what we have. Please pick either A or B. I can't give you both."
You: "I HAVE TO HAVE BOTH A AND B. I'LL ESCALATE TO MANAGEMENT TO GET IT."
Me: "Ok. Please feel free to call management and we'll discuss tradeoffs."
Management (addressing me): "What kind of tradeoffs do we need to make?"
Me: "I can only give them A or B, not both."
Management: "Get them to make a tradeoff."
Me: "I tried that. They say they need to have both."
Management: "They can't have both."
Me: "I know."
You: "IF WE DON'T GET BOTH THEN THE COMPANY WILL GO IN THE TOILET."
Me: "So we have no choice?"
You: "No."
Me: "I'm sad." (realizing that because of what just transpired, 3 people have to work overtime to accomplish A and B.

2 comments:

Trina said...

That is sad! People can be so frustrating! I would be terrible at your job, but I'm sure you're doing fantasic. (thanks for the link by the way)

kimmie said...

No prob :)
I'm thinking about ordering one of them there random tshirts...eh?