Monday, June 06, 2005

My life as a techie

My laptop has been "running hot" lately. So hot, in fact, that I cooked dinner on the bottom of it last night. It's also been rather cross with me lately, beeping at me when it starts up, screaming about some #M1004 error code, and running his fans WAY too loud. I told him to never use that language with me again, or it might cost him a serious time out.

Well, he was at it again today, beeping and sreaming, letting off steam. So I let him have it. I came to work today with a mini-screwdriver in hand. And use it I did!

I started ripping screws apart, pulling off brackets and plates, prying at things with scissors so that they would pop off. My goal in this endeavor? I wanted to clean the heatsink. Do I know what a heatsink look like, or where it's even located in the computer? Not really. But I figured that taking the thing apart one small screw at a time was better than nothing.

I carefully set aside a piece of paper on my desk, with the different parts labeled as they were on the computer: "A" parts here, "K" parts there, and so on. I also wound up with a "Random" pile, which wound up being quite useful.

I realized I was in over my head when I couldn't get the monitor or the hinges back in place. I also realized that the more I jammed things and snapped things, the more tiny pieces of plastic shot off in random directions.

So after about 30-45 minutes, I realized I was putting the hinges on backwards. Right. I got it all back together and gave it another try. Upon turning it back on, he still beeped at me, but his fans were slightly more subdued. Mission accomplished?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive! :)

Anonymous said...

No kidding. Did you say you removed the lcd display from the case. Impressive indeed :-).
A little excessive maybe :) but I sure hope it solved your trouble.