Monday, March 21, 2005

Tidal wave

So wow, you leave the internet all by its lonesome for a few days....then you check back and see a whirlwind of comments! Such a nice surprise on a rainy Monday morning. Good stuff all of you!

My feedback:
I would normally just reply in the comments, but there was too much going on, and I had a hankering for a full post.

  • Katie - the "p" tag is a paragraph tag. Glad to know that you and Jim are HTML compatible :)

  • Michael - I always knew there was something pure evil about you. Hmmmm, I was going to suggest we hang out soon, but in light of your HTML results, maybe not so much. Kidding.

  • Mandy - yeah, you're not even close to being nerdy enough. But thanks for being my friend anyways. I'm nerd enough for the both of us.

  • Jeanne - thanks for praying!

  • Dom - you're welcome to steal my titles anytime you want...

  • Everyone - this is so fun. Thanks for reading. Hope you don't mind being specifically addressed...


As for an update on my grandmother, she's doing really well. Mark and I went up to Dallas late on Thursday night, and had a safe trip (even after we talked for an hour at Bible study just before we left about the worst car accidents anyone had ever witnessed). Yeah, heart-warming, I know.

Anyhow, Vada (my granny), went into surgery on Friday morning. The surgery was supposed to take between 4-5 hours, but wound up taking about 6. She was in ICU for the next 30 hours or so, recovering from the surgery and doing quite well. The doctor said that the aneurysm was a bit bigger than he'd expected, but that he was able to repair all of the blood vessels around that area. (Because it's so important to me, I'll soon post a separate aneurysm entry with more information.)

She got her own room late on Saturday night and will be there until later this week. She's already walking around and cracking jokes. She's also on a fair amount of morphine, which really could make anyone pretty entertaining. I got a little shock-sickness apparently and almost passed out twice. But all was ok and I'm fine now.

God is teaching me a lot - namely that He made us with such intricate detail. And He maintains us, and has gifted certain people (luckily not me!) with the ability to stomach the idea of being people mechanics (oil change here, fix a flat tire there, and so on). I'm so glad that I'm not a doctor, but I have a newfound respect for everyone in the medical field. They really do a great job, and I'm so thankful for that.

Weekend highlights:
  • Really good bar-b-que in a shady Dallas neighborhood

  • Stalking a likely mental patient on the loose, also in the aforementioned shady Dallas neighborhood

  • Failed attempt to hack into the UT Southwestern wireless network

  • A series of victories in "full contact twister"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring on the full contact twister!

Although, you might be talking different rules than what we came up with...

Anonymous said...

Kim, I'm glad that your grandmother is doing better. It must be very heartwarming to hear her cracking jokes again. And if she's anything like you, that must be quite entertaining. I'll continue to keep her recovery in my prayers.

kimmie said...

I may have to provide more details about twister in upcoming posts...you know, to eliminate the idea of shady-ness....

Anonymous said...

Oh no, the rules are clean alright - it's more a matter of how much kinetic energy one is allowed to apply...

kimmie said...

Well in this version (new to me), you were only allowed to use your backside to bump someone. Any other use of hip, leg, arm, side, shoulder, etc. was not allowed.

How did you measure kinetic energy being applied?

Anonymous said...

In our version you were pretty much free, as to which part of your center mass (extremeties excluded) you were allowed to use to bump someone else.

I think the measures of kinetic energy were somehow related to the number of complaints one got when bumping other people over. Note that this is highly subjective measure, however.


- d.