Wednesday, March 23, 2005

AHWOSG

So I've been trying to finish this book for quite awhile. A well-read friend of mine passed it along to me, to borrow, in hopes that not only would I enjoy reading it, but that I would someday return it to her. Well, you can finally have it back (you know who you are...). I actually started reading it awhile back, but when I moved (about 7 months ago), it was misplaced. Then, one day I was sitting next to a large bookcase in our house, and I happened to turn around and spot AHWOSG sitting right there, begging me to finish it. So I did.

Review - I found it entertaining, sad, funny, crude and interesting. If you like rambling, honest thoughts flowing down page after page, then this book is for you. If you don't mind somewhat profuse cursing, then you probably would be ok with this. However, there were some parts that I just couldn't stomach (mainly due to the language). It still made me laugh, and it made me believe that I really am sane (sigh of relief).

Any books you've read that you'd like to recommend to the general populous?

Moving on....since the "quiz" idea was so popular a few days back, try this on for size. I took the quiz and I am apparently a "Killer Bunny" (which, by the way, is my favorite part in that movie!). What is your Python rating? I got 7 out of 10.

Killer Bunny: you may appear soft, but you can be sharp and ruthless. Just watch out for booby traps, like trick questions, or the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

On a slightly different note, I don't get it. But then again, I don't know what to compare it to. Check this article out about a poor turtle named Lucky. And seriously, if you even think that this image is on the shell of your turtle, why the heck do you name it "Lucky?!?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hrmmm...I got 6 out of 10, which is better than I thought I'd do. The only one I know kinda well is the Holy Grail. Anyway, I was a LumberJack "You're a Lumberjack, and You're Okay" - You sleep all night, and you work all day, which doesn't leave much time to watch old Python sketches. If you want to do better, you'll need to spend more quality time with your TV.

Anonymous said...

I got 5 out of 10, but honestly I was guessing on almost all of them.
LumberJack - "You're a Lumberjack, and You're Okay" - You sleep all night, and you work all day, which doesn't leave much time to watch old Python sketches. If you want to do better, you'll need to spend more quality time with your TV.

kimmie said...

Wow guys, y'all just seem to be strikingly compatible as far as internet quizzes go. Good for you!

I was guessing on most, as I've only seen a few sketches, the Holy Grail and part of the Life of Brian. But they still make me laugh...

Anonymous said...

glad that you at least enjoyed portions of the book... and hooray for finishing it! :-) Now you just have to get through Cry, the Beloved Country... or not.

Let me know when you have time to read a new book - I always have some to recommend.

Anonymous said...

I am learning a new programing language(new to me) it is called python. I am reading an introduciton to python book published by oreilly and associates. here is an early paragraph:
One thing we should probably mention up front: Python's creator, Guido van Rossum, named it after the BBC comedy series Monty Python's Flying Circus. This legacy has inevitably added a humorous flavor to many Python examples. For instance, the traditional "foo" and "bar" become "spam" and "eggs" in the Python world, and in some of the code you'll see in this book. The occasional "Brian," "Ni," and "shrubbery" likewise owe their appearances to this namesake. You don't need to be familiar with the series to make sense of such examples (symbols are symbols), but it can't hurt.

Just thought that was apropriate based on other threads in the conversation. back to reading. ps I liked cry the beloved country too. if you like that you should also read "nectar in a sieve"

kimmie said...

Thanks, Jim. I've started "Cry the Beloved..." about 3 times, but I always get distracted. I'll give it another try, and then check out your suggestion...

Good luck with Python. After you've mastered that, I'll show you the ropes on Cobol ;) Kidding.