Monday, March 07, 2005

Changing my tune

So I'm sitting in the work cafeteria, since I'm currently splitting my time between several of our buildings, catching up from my three day weekend. No complaints about the weekend, although the right side of my body is still aching from four solid hours of dodgeball (two of which were in the pouring rain!). It was good fun, but also made it quite difficult to wake up today.

I mention the cafeteria simply because today they have an unusual selection of music playing over the speakers - a work soundtrack, if you will. The first five songs I heard upon perching at my small table next to the window were all from the king of Pop, Michael Jackson himself. Now, I'm not a die-hard Jackson fan, but who doesn't perk up upon hearing, "Bad" or "Billy Jean" at 8:15 in the morning, on a Monday no less.

So that got me thinking about my cell phone. I've had the same cell phone ring for the past 5 years. It was great - simple, peppy, and slightly unique (I've only heard 2 other people's phones ring with the same tone). Then I switched carriers (only to unswitch in the same day due to a large corporate merger!) and my new phone didn't have my tried and true ring. I was forced to pick a new tone, and I found something semi-decent that didn't make my skin crawl.

(Ooh - "Man in the Mirror" just came on! If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change!)

So now I'm thinking about updating my ringtone. Everyone and their brother has these complicated melodies, cutsie-tootsie theme songs, and the like. But I'm striving for uniqueness. Something like the Price is Right (a soundtrack which dominated much of my weekend, and something I became rather fond of!). Just something different. Something that says, "Yeah buddy, that's MY phone ringing. Don't even think about checking to see if it's yours, 'cause it's NOT!" (but I want to say that in a loving tone of voice, you know).

After perusing the selections on-line last night, here were the initial tunes that caught my ear:

  • Beat It - Michael Jackson

  • Superfreak - Rick James

  • Brick House - Commodores

  • Family Feud - Gameshow


Any other suggestions?

I also just found out that I currently do not have a boss. My now "old" boss just sent us all a note saying how lovely it was to work with us, and how he was hoping that our paths crossed again someday. And come to think of it, my name wasn't specifically mentioned on the latest "corporate reshuffle" email. Maybe I'll soon be fashioning my own personal "Help Wanted" sign later today, or worse, updating my resume!

(Ooh, now we're on to "Thriller!")

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the attempt to move up the corp. ladder. Thanks for all the work you did this weekend. You're a great friend.