Monday, March 21, 2005

A little research goes a long way

As aneurysms have thus far played a more important role in my life than would normally be expected, I thought I would take a moment to publish some information about what, exactly, they are. If you would have asked me ten years ago what an aneurysm was, I would have had no idea. At this point, however, I’m all too familiar with them and wish to enlighten you as well, if you’re interested.

An aneurysm is basically a widening spot in an artery due to a weak spot in the artery wall. Most of the time, they don’t have any impact to normal body functions. However, they can put pressure on nerves, cause vision problems, headaches or general pain. Sometimes they can rupture, causing all sorts of problems. Some ruptures can be repaired, but many are fatal.

Since we have arteries pretty much everywhere in our bodies, one might think that this could virtually happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. It seems, however, that certain areas are more prone than others, yielding the following main types of aneurysms:

  • Abdominal aortic: in the abdominal portion of the aorta

  • Thoracic aortic: in the aorta itself

  • Cerebral: in the brain

  • Popliteal: in the leg

  • Mesenteric: in the intestine

  • Splenic: in the spleen


Not a whole lot of information is currently available about what really causes this to happen in the circulatory system. It is commonly known, however, that they do tend to be genetic. Other factors that have been linked to a higher incidence of acquiring or triggering an aneurysm include things like high blood pressure, smoking, excessive use of alcohol, and certain genetic diseases.

These don’t just happen to elderly folks like my grandmother (see previous posts). Sharon Stone had a cerebral aneurysm recently. And actor John Ritter died from an aortic dissection (a related condition). During my recent visit to the hospital, there were young kids that had recently had corrective surgery for similar conditions.

This stuff is scary, and I’m not trying to be the bearer of bad news here. I’m simply saying that you should be aware. Find out what kinds of things run in your family. Live healthy. Get off your couches every now and then and throw a Frisbee.

For more information:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of unfortunate coincidence...

My great aunt had a cerebral anurysm Sat night which triggered cardiac arrest. Fortunately she is stable and should recover fully...

jad3

kimmie said...

I am so sorry to hear that, but I'm glad that she's stable. That is most certainly an unfortunate coincidence. I'll be praying for her.