Friday, March 11, 2005

Not much happening....honestly

Hey folks, long time no post, according to one of the faithful "kimmie" followers. It was pointed out to me last night at Bible study that I hadn't written anything in almost 5 whole days! So yes, I know you've each been clicking the "refresh" button since Monday, in hopes that maybe, just maybe, there would be something new that this here journal had to offer.

So here's my feeble attempt....

I'd like to suggest that there be a secondary exclamation point introduced to the English language. I, for one, use exclamation points pretty liberally! (yeah, I pulled a fast one on you and threw one in...) But seriously, I'm not always sure that the recipients of my punctuation really understand what I'm trying to communicate in each instance.

A few examples:

  • Have a great day!

    I'm trying to say that I earnestly hope that the person has a great day. "Enjoy the day, my friend" if you will. Not a screaming command to HAVE A GREAT DAY!


  • Watch out!

    This, on the other hand, would be a powerful warning to someone that there might just happen to be a rabid beast pursuing them.


  • This tastes like cheese!

    Indeed, the item being described really tastes like cheese, and I'm excited to share that with those around me.


So you see the quandary, my friends. Three different scenarios, one punctuation mark. This vexes me greatly.

Suggestions to alternative punctuation are welcome. Share the wealth...

3 comments:

kimmie said...

Werle said comments didn't work earlier. I got the same error he described, so I republished the index (do I sound smart?) and now I'm able to post. Luck to you as well, as I know many of you were dying to post.....peace outside.

Anonymous said...

I think the | could work as the exclamation point of the future. I will leave you to decide how best to use it, but I think that the tradtional '!' should be used for the watchout senario and the | can be used for the more genuine heart felt '!' Just a thought...

kimmie said...

Interesting use, Jim. I hadn't thought of the | before. That could totally work. I'm going to start out trying that with a few select folks and see what happens....thanks!