Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Project Table: Day 7

First off, thank you all for the encouragement! Via email, comments, etc, you have been incredibly supportive!

Much progress has been made since day 2. I have just been too lazy to post about it. But I know that you are all on the edges of your seats, so I couldn't make you wait any longer.

I worked on the doors almost every day after work last week, chipping and scraping away. I did luck out on Friday and found out that the other side of the door that I had been working on all week was a TON easier to scrape. So as of last Friday, I was able to get to this stage on that door:





For your reference, this is what your jeans look like after an afternoon of vigorous scraping:



Saturday, the great and powerful Tiffany accompanied me to IKEA so that we could do some brainstorming and potentially procure some table legs. The trip proved to be really successful, and at times, humorous. We basically took over the dining section of the store, moving tables and chairs at our leisure trying to see what arrangements would work. We test drove almost every chair they had, so if you have any quesitons about their selection, just let us know.

As for work on the doors, the bitterly cold rain kept us from doing much that day. However, that was not the case on Sunday. Tiffany came back over (a glutton for punishment, some may say) and we got to scrapin'.

Here is Tiffany with her weapons of choice:



Though Tiffany did seem to get a lot of scraping done, I couldn't help but think that she had a hard time keeping her mind on task:



Anyhow, here is what the door looked like before:



And here is the damage that we did:



The triumphant warriors after a long, hard day at battle:



Goals for the week:
- Finish scraping both doors
- Purchase hinges
- Purchse equipment to make a rip fence*
- Cut both doors to size
- Start assembly

The stretch goal is to have the table assembled by Saturday night, when we have a big group coming for dinner. Keep your fingers crossed...

*A rip fence, as suggested by my dad, will aid in cutting a straight line across the bottom of the door. For this I will need a set of clamps and a straight piece of wood...I'm off to the hardware store later today to get such items.

2 comments:

amar rama said...

yikes are we talking about this Saturday?

amusingt said...

Oh it can be done! I am up for the challenge and see success looming on the horizon!