Friday, February 22, 2008

Project Table: Day 10

This week has been a good week for Project Table. I was able to finish scraping, cut the boards, and start painting. Lovely pictures of the progress below:



This is a picture of the rip fence that I setup to enable the cut to be straight. As you can see below, it worked. I was pleased to find out that the door was in fact solid. I had been thinking that it was, but couldn't be positive until I had cut into it. Had it not been solid, I would have had to attach a piece of wood to the outside so that the cavity wouldn't be exposed.

To be honest, I was pretty scared of making the cut. I've used saws before, but there's always a feeling of apprehension before you actually cut. I had purchased some clamps and a small piece of straight wood (a piece of a fence), and got to work. I had to extend my table length a bit to account for the hole in the door where the doorknob and hardware went. I didn't want to have an exposed cavity at the corner, so I bumped the cut line out a few inches to make sure I would have a solid corner after the cut.

Once I had measured my cut line, I taped over it (to ensure that the wood wouldn't splinter during the cut) and redrew it. Then I had to measure where the rip fence would go. Basically, the blade on the saw was offset about 1 1/4 inches from the right-most point of the saw, so the fence went 1 1/4 inches to the right of the cut line and I clamped it into place. Making triply sure that it was completely parallel to the straight cut line, I got to work cutting. And voila, a straight cut.



Here is what both pieces looked like after the cuts:



That was the status as of Wednesday night.

Thursday afternoon I was also able to make some good progress. I was itching to start painting, and had come to the realization that there was no way on God's green earth that I would ever have all of the paint scraped off. So I did what final prep I could with slightly more scraping, some sanding and lots of brushing off.



So after two coats of some paint, the final product is above.

This afternoon, I hope to get the second door painted. Then assembly can start tomorrow! Yay!

2 comments:

amar rama said...

Boo yeah! you are wonder woman!!

rj said...

lookin' GOOD, sista!