Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Project Table: Day 2

In an effort to be transparent through this process, and to share with you the craziness that is me brainstorming/second-guessing/creating/etc., here are a few things/thoughts/questions that came to me in the last 12 hours:

Musings
  • Will one big table, made of 2 doors, be too big?
  • Should I instead, make 2 smaller tables?
  • We could leave 1 out all the time, and store the other one, then when the need arises, bring them both out and put them side by side...
  • Will the glass be too expensive?
  • Will the glass be too hard to procure?
  • How will we get it home?
  • Ordering two smaller pieces of glass would be easier to transport, potentially less expensive, and allow for the flexibility of having 2 tables at a time, or just 1 table at a time...
  • Should I strip all the paint of both doors, or just keep chipping away at it for a bit longer?
  • If I just chip away at it, and don't get it all off, is that ok to paint over?
  • Geez, these are ugly paint colors that these people picked back in the day...why do you paint the hardware onto the door?
  • Are old doorknobs worth anything?
  • What color should this be in the end?
  • Is this really worth the time and effort just for the "unique and handmade" factor?
  • Do I have all of the necessary tools/skills/etc. to complete this?
  • Just how much can you do with a circular saw?
  • I wish I had a table saw...
  • I wish we had a garage....
  • Am I making too much noise for the neighbors?
  • Do the neighbors think I'm: insane? and idiot? weird? Who cares?
  • Will one table be too narrow?
  • Will the narrowness cause people to knock knees? Unavoidably play footsie? Never want to have dinner with us again?
  • Will people need to sign a liability waiver before they dine with us?
  • Will the legs support the weight?
  • If I do two tables, is there a cool hook/clip/clamp I could install under the seam so that they can lock together?
  • Is the aforementioned idea too much work?
  • Am I now, or at some point during this project will I be, breathing in anything toxic?


More craziness to come, I'm sure. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

rj said...

i LOVE this idea! and i think it is so fun to read your documentation of the project... i have decided in the past couple of weeks that much of the worth of a handmade craft/decoration/furniture/other-item-you-might-create-yourself is in enjoying the process/project itself. it will never be perfect, it will rarely turn out as you envision it in the beginning, but its beauty & your love for it comes from the process of creation as much as the finished product. here's to hoping this process is a fun adventure for you (at least more fun that furniture-shopping would be;)!

rj said...

ps-- you gotta love how much they don't tell you in the DIY guides... i'm guessing you could write a better one than what's posted at d*s. =P

kimmie said...

Thanks my friend!!! And yes, they leave out a LOT!