Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I survived

I had a dentist appointment yesterday.

I don't like going to the dentist.

Not one bit.

I so dislike going that it has literally been years since I've darkened the door of any dentistry practice.

My dental philosophy: brush twice a day. Only see a professional if there is pain that is so bad you can't sleep at night.

So after a weekend of chewing only on the left side of my mouth to avoid the pain on the right side of my mouth, I turned myself in.

Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I was having nightmares of the doctor freely throwing around phrases like "root canal" and "total mouth overhaul" but nothing of the sort. Sure, there was a series of mega x-rays, and yes, there was some poking and prodding around the gums with a sharp metal object.

But all in all, I survived.

Immediately after leaving his office, I made stop at the grocery store nearby where I virtually cleaned out their dental aisle. The checkout lady must have thought I was a sicko with all of the dental paraphernalia I bought, but at least I felt like I was accomplishing something.

I do have to go back 2-3 times over the next few weeks to patch a few thing here and there, and get a cleaning (which I'm dreading more than the cavity filling). Seriously, why does that scraper instrument have to sound (and feel?) like fingernails on a chalkboard? It's hideous!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

.. and get a cleaning (which I'm dreading more than the cavity filling). Seriously, why does that scraper instrument have to sound (and feel?) like fingernails on a chalkboard? It's hideous!

Of course, you realise if you visited the dentist more often, they wouldn't have to spend so much effort cleaning the (proportionately thicker) layer of plaque off your teeth...

I finally gave in, and let them schedule my next 6 month follow up when I leave. Keeps me from forgetting and keeps my teeth reasonably in shape, because I'll actually return when they warn me the day before I'm due. :)

amusingt said...

I am proud of you, Kim. You have set an example for others to follow, when it comes to overcoming fears.