Monday, January 15, 2007

What really happened...

So I'm in line, about to board my jetliner for the 10 hour flight to Sao Paulo. Boy howdy, I've been eagerly awaiting my first class seat. My free first class seat. I hand the lady my boarding pass. The boarding pass which has an obscenely low row number listed on it. She scans it. And then my whole life flashes before my eyes.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Ma'am, you need to see the agent at the ticket counter."

Despair pulses through my viens.

I hand the agent my boarding pass, and with an incredibly cold and heartless tone, she tells me that she has to bump me to coach. Coach! She says that some "missed connections" who "actually paid for first class" deserve the seats more than me.

"But you don't understand," I plead. "The sheer fact that I have first class seats on an international flight has literally carried me through this incredibly long day."

"I know. But I have to take your soul from you now. I can try to get you a good seat in coach, if you'd like."

"Thanks," I reply in a tone I can only describe as deflated and surrendered.

So I spent my 10 hours in the (bumpy) air listening to the people in first class clink their glasses, order wine, cut their steak, and freshen up with their hot towels.

But I made it just fine. It's a sunny, summer day here in Brazil, which is more than I can say for the entire state of Texas. Oh, and there was a super pretty sunset last night. I'll upload some pictures later. Peace out.

2 comments:

amar rama said...

all about the first class...
Elaine sneaks into first class

p&k said...

so sad, kim. we felt for you big time. hope that your work week goes quickly, and that you and amar are reunited shortly! so glad we'll get to see you again before we board our big overseas flight!