Thursday, August 04, 2005

Why am I still awake?

It's 1:00 AM and I can't sleep. If you know me at all, you know this practically never happens. Maybe the cheap gas station coffee I consumed outside of Waco about 2 hours ago is to blame? Or maybe it was the 2 hours of great conversation with my friend Kim? Or maybe I've just got a lot to think about and I don't want to face the stillness of a silent room. Whatever it is, I'm pretty much wide awake and ready to type.

I spent today saying goodbye to a girl I've known since we were literally in the crib together. She and her husband are moving to another state. She seems so much older than me - buying her second house, moving to support her husband's job, redecorating a new place. All I'm thinking about is if I have enough creamer in the fridge to make a cup of coffee in the morning. Life is strange.

I've got a lot of people on my mind right now: my students, my lifelong friends, my friends doing missions abroad, folks I knew in college but have not kept in touch with, my co-workers...and I have no idea what to do with it all but to just confess that sometimes I know not what to pray for (see Romans 8). I guess I just like to get these thoughts into words sometimes, but I have no idea if any of this makes sense. I'll now attempt to salvage the remaining hours before I get to face another day and see what He has in store.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you on the trouble sleeping thing. I woke up at three thurday morning and could not sleep again until thursday night. No reason just liek you were saying. Don't over simplify your life. You have done alot even if you don't own two houses or anything like that.

kimmie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Jim :)