Monday, February 07, 2005

Weekend Update

The title harkens from the SNL skit. But not the current one that they've got going, as it's a bit shady. But I really was thinking more along the lines of the old Kevin Nealon ones. With the occasional impromptu song by Adam Sandler...but I digress.

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend the Song of Solomon Conference. For those of you unfamiliar with this, it's basically a 2 day exegesis of the book in the Bible entitled "Song of Solomon," or in some versions, "Song of Songs." This was the second time I had heard Tommy Nelson give this presentation, but it was my first time to hear him in person. It was great. And I would highly recommend it to anyone, from single, to dating to married. You should go. Tommy does a great job of honestly and humorously presenting some rather difficult chapters in the Word of God.

Other than that, I went to a wedding reception for an old high school friend. He got married over New Year's, so those of us who couldn't attend the wedding were able to go to the reception this weekend. A bunch of old memories and old friends - good stuff. It's weird to realize that your senior prom date is now married.

Then of course the big game. As someone said, "I had no dog in this fight." I guess it would have been nice to see the Eagles win. But nevertheless, I'm sure they all felt it was an honor to just compete. Right. Just like it's an honor to be nominated for an Oscar. Everyone wants to win, they just don't say it.

But I do think my favorite commercial (after all, that's what it's all about!) was the one with the cat and the spaghetti sauce. Though I don't necessarily think this was effective marketing, it was quite funny. Why was it not effective? Because less than 24 hours after viewing the commercial, I have no recollection as to who or what it was advertising for. This is not good if you're paying millions of dollars for 30 seconds of fame. After a few google searches, I now realize that it was for Ameriquest.

Here are some other favorites, from years past:


Anyone else got any favorites?

No comments: