Monday, September 18, 2006

Sufjan: A review, of sorts

As promised, here is my review of the Sufjan Stevens concert from Friday night.

Incredible.

Before the concert, I had only heard the little iTunes snippet of a few Sufjan songs, so I didn't really know what to expect. I only knew that a few of my friends were really excited about seeing him live. That was enough for us to sign up for the show.

The opening act: My Brightest Diamond
I had a hard time with it. I really thought the lead singer had a great voice. Crisp, clear, sweet. But the lyrics and general feel of the music were not for me at all. I think someone in the group described it as "musical torture" but I won't go that far. I'm just glad I kept my dinner down (ok, maybe I will go that far...)

The big show: Sufjan Stevens
The show began with several instrumentalists filing onto stage wearing scrubs/military jackets and big butterfly wings. The back curtains parted to reveal shiny silver decorations from floor to ceiling, parting in the middle for a projector screen.

The music started, along with a psychedelic kaleidoscope-type visual on the screen, matching the tone of the instruments. It was a bright sound, if that makes sense, which was a great contrast to what we had just sat through with the opening act.

Then Sufjan entered, wearing a similar uniform, but with much bigger wings. The crowd cheered. It was shaping up to be magical.

If you're not familiar with some of his more recent music, it'll be hard for me to describe. You've got violins, trumpets, pianos, guitars, trombones, drums and a xylophone all going at once. But rather than sounding like a train wreck, it all comes together and soothes you.

He sung with a light, almost falsetto, but it was great. The lead singer of My Brightest Diamond sung backup for most of the show, and it was a great pairing. The videos changed to match the various songs, and it was a great touch.

Personally, I love instruments. I love music. I love sitting there in the audience soaking it all in. And this was a great chance to do just that. Trina reported that the band occasionally donned sunglasses, but apparently that was only for the Saturday night show. Bummer. But to echo her review, this was definitely one of the best live shows I've seen.

All in all, it was a great show. Pleasing to the ears and the eye. If you get the chance, go check it out. Odds are that you won't be disappointed.

No comments: