Thursday, January 05, 2006

A new year

It seems that with the start of the new year, the internet is virtually littered with "My year in review" and "My top 10 of 2005" lists, with the occasional "My resolutions for 2006" and on, and on. No offense to any of those people - those lists are all worthy of gracing browsers globally. So originally, I thought that I would rebel and post absolutely nothing of the sort. No review, no top 10, no list of promises to myself that I'll eventually break. Nada.

Then I started thinking about my year in review. Life was busy. Life was packed with stuff and people and things and places. Life was both good and bad, easy and hard. All in all, a lot happened over the last 12 months. I don't know if I'll make a top 10 list, or define a specific set of resolutions I want to make for 2006. But I do think that it's valuable to reflect on where you've been.

That's the same reason I keep a prayer journal. It's so neat to be able to look back and see how God has grown, challenged, matured, pruned, encouraged, guided and protected you. And looking back at 2005, I can see all of that.

There were breakups and makeups (and then breakups again)...
There was travel between continents...
I saw my family brought together by near tragedy and divided by sheer joy...
I saw a 50 year old man get a wedgie at family Christmas...
And I saw God continue to refine me and show me how much he loves me...





Oh, and I saw a beautiful diamond ring get slipped on my finger a few days ago...and I said yes!

So as the new year starts, just like everyone else, I want to read more, to be healthier, to enjoy life more, to cherish relationships more, and all that jazz. But mostly, I want to grow. I want to mature. I want to be refined again and again.

I just realized that this little blog is almost a year old. Hopefully I'll remember to get it a card or a little present. I'm always bad at remembering birthdays...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wow folks - no idea who Bob is. Yikes!

Alexia & Jeffrey said...

congrulations AGAIN! i am so excited for yall! :-D yea!

Anonymous said...

can i be the flower girl??? bob can be the ring bearer!

kimmie said...

Jones, that's brilliant!

Anonymous said...

That's so great!

I had a year in review, they are not so bad...

kimmie said...

Totally didn't mean to trash-talk EOY reviews, etc. Glad you enjoyed doing yours, Jim. It's always good to reflect on where you've been in light of where you want to go, and so on :)