Friday, July 21, 2006

Pilates 101

Yesterday, I tried my first Pilates class. Let's just say, it was interesting and I laughed. Then I doubled over in pain. Then I laughed again.

Have you ever taken Pilates? Yeah, good for you. Me? Not so much. I can barely even touch my toes, let alone roll around in a ball and focus on my "core" and "scooping in my tailbone." Needless to say, it was fun.

At one point, we were sitting on the mat, facing the folks on the other side of the room and clapping our feet together like a bunch of seals. I thought to myself, "this has got to be the most bizarre thing I have ever done" but hey, who doesn't like seals?

I strongly recommend going with a buddy. My buddy happened to be my friend/ex-roommate/personal trainer Lindsay. I basically just copied what she did when I had no idea what the instructor was talking about...which was pretty much every instruction she gave.

One thing to note: don't do Pilates right after you do a leg workout. You will hurt. A lot. And then part of your body will die later that day. That part would be the part south of your belly button.

Another thing to note: your feet cramp. Like a mother! With the flexing and the pointing and the lifting. I had to take a break and go uncramp my feet several times. I could flex my feet with no problem. It was the pointing I couldn't do. Bummer. But it happened to someone else in the class too, so I didn't feel alone.

If you're interested in Pilates, or just want to see the various ways in which I tortured myself yesterday, check out learningpilates.com

Here's the exercises that we did yesterday:
  • Crisscross
  • Modified hundred
  • Open leg rocker
  • Rolling like a ball
  • Single leg kick
  • Single leg stretch
And many, many more.

1 comment:

Adriel said...

Always bring a buddy - that way you will have someone to laugh with as you desperately try to keep from falling.

That's my rule.