Monday, May 22, 2006

Why they have a store on every corner

There is a Walgreens just across the street from my office. Yesterday I had to develop some pictures, so I took a few minutes to walk over there and do just that.

I left the store with a photo claim ticket, eye makeup remover, hair bands and a bag of Lifesaver wint-o-green mints.

What the heck?

All I needed to do was drop off pictures to be developed. But instead, I wound up coming back to the office with a bag full of impulse purchases. And it's not just me. I was telling this to a co-worker of mine, and she recounted a similar story. She went into the store for flip flops and wound up leaving with a water gun.

My theory...(probably needs a little polishing): they engineer the store for impulse buying:
  • Most everything in the store is about $10 or less
  • People generally go to the store for random stuff anyway
  • Since shoppers don't have a shopping list at Walgreens, they are less likely to stick to buying only what they originally intended to buy

Check out this list about "Why we buy" and see just how nicely Walgreens breaks about every tenet: Shopping lessons

Better luck next time...

8 comments:

Kristi K. said...

I just did the "random blog" thing, and your blog came up. It is a rare blogger that can hold my interest through one post, let alone throughout their blog. I've enjoyed reading what you have to say. You're a good writer.
Seems like God is really moving and working in your life. It's uplifting to hear!
Have a great day!

kimmie said...

Thanks, Kristi :) That made my day...I'll check out your blog(s) too!

amar rama said...

You are my favourite writer too!! So much so I think I am in love with you.

Absolutely agree with you. There is a whole industry (backed by science at places) devoted to the art of product placement especially in the checkout aisle.
Here is some fun reading for you from Gladwell if you are so inclined:-). Gladwell is one of my favourite authors btw.

kimmie said...

Ugh. I hate that I'm so frequently manipulated by corporate America.

That being said, I hear the Gap is having a sale.... ;)

amar rama said...

well we do have that 20% discount card ;-)

kimmie said...

Update: I cannot stop eating the Lifesavers. Please, come and pry them out of my hands...I dare you.

Anonymous said...

You need a lifesaver to save you from the lifesavers?! :D

kimmie said...

Ha - Becky you kill me :)