Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A rant about us

< rant >

I jumped on the bandwagon recently.

I just finished "The Da Vinci Code" about two weeks ago. And you know what? I liked it.

I also recently read CNN. And then I listened to some AM radio news snippets, and saw some newspaper articles. And frankly, I just don't get it.

I do not understand why all of this is such a big deal!!

Do I believe that some of the things in Dan Brown's book are false? Yep, sure do. Have I heard them talked about before? Yep, sure have. Have other false things been said about Christ in the last 2000 years? Yep, indeed they have.

So why are people freaking out about this? What's up with the boycotts and the riots? The combative interviews and the oddly-worded press statements?

I get that things about Jesus are being said that aren't true. I understand that we, the church, could provide proof of this both using scripture and other historical references. So why the heck are we running scared?

Seems to me that we should welcome the opportunity to talk about faith. We should welcome the opportunity to talk about Truth. People - it's OK.

I guess I'm just frustrated by the fact that it seems that some folks seem to be more scared of a work of fiction than they ought to be. Put down the picket sign and sit down and have a conversation with someone.

< /rant >

Sorry - just had to get that off my chest. And I'll probably go see the movie soon. Ooooh, scary.

Muwhahahahaha....

4 comments:

Alexia & Jeffrey said...

amen. i agree. i also just finished it and thought the story was good. dan brown's writing on the other hand, well...it left much to be desired. but the story, considering that, yes, it was FICTION, was good. ok, i'll let your rant stand for itself and stop myself now :-)

Anonymous said...

The problem is, yes - we know it's fiction. Or, at least we claim it is.

Dan Brown (and a horde of his followers), on the other hand, claim that the book is written as non-fiction. As in, it's truth.

Sadly, there's other hordes of people out there who will believe their side, and not ours.

Now you have a nice big fat can of worms in your hands...

kimmie said...

I totally understand that people think that it's true. But some people also think that you'll only make it to heaven if you have 3 or more wives.

It's just frustrating to me that folks would rather throw a big fit about it than sit and have rational conversations.

Ya know?

kimmie said...

And not to toot my own horn here...

These guys kind of agree with me. Or vice versa....