Friday, May 26, 2006

How is this even possible?

I heard about this while I was at the gym this morning. At first, I thought that it was a joke. But no, this was an actual ruling in a U.S. court of law.

This man attacks children. This man is now getting probation because "[the judge] said she believed the 5-foot-1 [criminal] would not survive in a state prison because he was too small."

Other favorite sound bites from this story include:

"[the judge] believed the man's short stature would cause him harm in prison."

Cause him harm?!?!? Gee, wouldn't that be tragic?

Additionally, "a spokesman for the National Organization of Short Statured Adults - a group that represents men 5-foot-7 and below and women 5-foot-2 and below - applauded the ruling."

Am I missing something here? There is actually an organization that represents "short people" and they are glad that the judge is letting a person like this out on probation BECAUSE HE IS TOO SHORT TO SURVIVE IN PRISON?

...

Reality check. We have height requirements foroller coastersrs - NOT JAILS!! At this point, it seems like if I were a "short statured adult" (which I'm not), I'd be going on a crime spree right about now. I mean, heck, what is there to lose? The precedent has been set, my friend. Go, therefore, and crime away!

Short statured adults - please don't get me wrong. You are great, at least those of you who don't go out and commit crimes. And you tall people, y'all are great too! Way to go tall and short adults! I'm all for you! And no - I am not advocating that we beat up short people in prison. I'm just saying that at what point do we draw the line, folks?

I'm 5'10" which is several inches above the national average for women. Do I get out of tickets because I'm tall? Not so much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes you are way above average height for girls, but believe it or not this 5" guy is even further from avaerage.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/growth_charts.html

Alexia & Jeffrey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alexia & Jeffrey said...

this is SICK! i spent the last 9 months around kids under the age of 18, many of whom i'm sure have had contact with horrible men like this one. let's hope i don't ever have the chance to meet any of these people - i might end up doing something i regret, and i just barely miss the high requirement to not go to jail...