Friday, April 14, 2006

Adults say the darndest things

As I settled into work this morning with my cuppa coffee, I started catching up on some of the other blogs that I read. I don't remember how I started reading Finslippy, but she cracks me up. I think she was nominated for "best blog writing" for last year's bloggies, which is likely where I picked up her link.

Anyhow:

I was reading this post and really trying hard to keep my laughter to myself as I read through the comments.

I don't have kids. I want them eventually, but I do not currently have any of my own. However, if and when I do, I cannot wait to keep a journal of funny things that 1) I say to them and 2) they say to me and/or others.

It reminds me of one of my jobs in college. I worked at a campus library at A&M. Our office was situated right inside the main entrance, and though it was not our primary job role, we served as a makeshift help desk for the library. What do you get when you combine some sassy, bored college kids and a bunch of random patrons asking dumb questions all day?

A little black book.

We constantly kept track of the dumb questions/weird conversations/general hilarity that happened at the front desk. That black book served us well for years. It was the backbone of the camaraderie we felt with our co-workers. We would hand it off between shifts, everyone adding their own two cents.

Here, my friend Michael recounts one of the stories. It just so happens to be a story about me being stalked - very poorly.

Anyhow:

We had this supervisor that was _not_a_fan_whatsoever_ of the book. He lectured us that if any patron ever found it and started reading through it, all heck would break loose. But we were smarter than that. We changed the names to protect the *innocent* and just referenced people in our own special way. Characters like "British guy", "Creepy stalker guy" and "Flaky grad student" were the only "patron names" that anyone would ever find in there.

The battle was on. It was now our duty to protect our turf and our sanity. That black book kept us going on many occasions. Bringing life and humor to the darkest corners of the library. Ok, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but we didn't want to lose the book. We still have little reunions where we recount the silly tales of the library. Fun stuff.

Anyhow:
I'd like to keep a book like that when I have kids. Just to remember the fun times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.moleskine.co.uk/styles/
kids eh...

Anonymous said...

Good times, good times. Oh, and remember keeping track and making bets on how late E-bay was going to be each day?

So I guess you are the reason I got 12 new views today without even making a new post.

Lippy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lippy said...

I love the CSG story! But what became of it all? The story kinda just fell off into an oblivian of nowhere. Obviously he was not an awesome, handsome Indian!