Friday, May 06, 2005

And then it hit me

First of all - welcome any new readers we may have picked up here at "chynmburli." A fine welcome to you indeed. I hope you enjoy your stay. Please feel free to post comments, as our staff will attend to any needs you may have.

Now, on with the show.

By now, most of you recognize that I am an ogre. Most of you, in fact, have probably just been waiting for me to recognize that I am indeed an ogre. And now we officially have the test results to prove it.

I'm kidding, of course. There is no greater humor than that of self-deprecation. And I'm no stranger to that. It has earned me many a dollar in my seasoned career. Ok, well, maybe not, but it's fun to make people smile at least.

To those of you who realize that I can be a hostile, inhibited, depressive, nervous human being - thanks for your patience. To those of you who think I must have swapped test results with some tribal warlord of a far off jungle, thanks for your support.

(Now let me take a minute to attempt to be less "inhibited" than I apparently am wired to be): I got a "C" in my freshman psychology class. It was the first "C" I had ever received (the recent test results also indicated that I'm an over-achiever, and a proud one at that). And I remember thinking that my professor, who strangely reminded me of a lab rat (and I mean that in the nicest of ways), spent too much time professing on the boring side of psychology (numbers, means, sample sizes, zzzzzzzz - sorry, I must have dozed off) and not enough time on the fun stuff - the personality stuff (thus, the poor grade). I am fascinated by that stuff. Birth order, Keirsey Temperaments, Myers-Briggs, Right-brained / Left-brained.....It's neat.

Until it grasps you in its claws and you have no choice but to submit to its painfully honest assessment of the type of person you are.

But no claws for me, thanks. I'm fine the way I am. Yes, even if I'm apparently hostile, depressed and nervous, I'm ok with that. Why? Because I am more than dots on a piece of paper. More than a line charted on a graph indicating that I'm WAY outside of the "normal" range. I don't want to be normal. That's boring. Chart my line wherever you want, and I'll look at the graph and chuckle, knowing that Taylor Johnson and his test can't box me in.

I've quoted him before, and I'll do it again. Funny how this was yesterday's posting:

"If Jesus ever commanded us to do something that He was unable to equip us to accomplish, He would be a liar. And if we make our own inability a stumbling block or an excuse not to be obedient, it means that we are telling God that there is something which He has not yet taken into account. Every element of our own self-reliance must be put to death by the power of God. The moment we recognize our complete weakness and our dependence upon Him will be the very moment that the Spirit of God will exhibit His power."

Thank you, Lord, that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

No comments: