Friday, April 29, 2005

Goals, and such

It's that time of year, here in cube-city. Time to take a moment and fill out the online form denoting what your short-term, mid-term and long-term career goals are. They are due by the end of the day today, and as would be expected, I haven't really started mine yet.

Why?

Because I loathe this sort of thing. It's not that I don't like setting goals. I do, at least sometimes I do. Like right now I have a goal to finish a couple of books in a couple of weeks. I'm fine with that goal.

But when it comes to putting something on paper describing where you want to be in your job in 3 years? Yowzer! Not a fan!

I also don't know how this fits with Scripture. One verse that pops in my head is Proverbs 19:21, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." And then in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

Why can't I just put that in my plan?

On a lighter note - we're having an "offsite" today. Going to a local theater that lets you order food while you watch the movie. Good stuff. Not sure what we're seeing, but at least it's getting us out of the office.

No comments: