Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Inbox insanity

Several of my co-workers have recently started using Xobni, which is a MS Outlook plug in that claims to keep you from drowning in your inbox.

I don't normally have a problem with drowning, as I try to stay fairly organized most of the time. However, today I found myself digging through a folder that had about 2000 emails in it, trying to locate one specific email from a person whose name I couldn't remember.

And then I thought of Xobni, and thought, "What the heck, why not give it a try?"

I downloaded it, and after about 15 minutes of having it index my emails, I was able to locate that missing email in about 30 seconds.

Definitely worth it.

But the goodness didn't stop there. They have this feature called Xobni Analytics, which basically shows you a bunch of cool stuff about your email habits and trends. You can find out who you send the most email to, who sends you the most email, what your high volume hours are over the day, etc.

One thing I found curious was the "Time to Respond" metric, as I try to respond in a timely manner to most things. Here's my analysis:




If you click on the picture, you'll see that back in November, I had an average email response time of ~4 hours. Compare that with my average response time in May of ~30 minutes. That's what I call progress ;)

If you look at the data another way, you can tell the times that I'm more likely to respond quickly to your email:



You'll see that if you send me a email at 3AM, it might take me 3 days to respond to it. But if you send me an email between 6AM and noon, you're looking at an average response time of less than 15 minutes.

Is it just me, or is this cool?

It's ok, I already know I'm a nerd...this is just official confirmation.

More nerdy goodness...

Average email volume by day:



Average email volume by hour:

3 comments:

amar rama said...

hey, watch out with this nerd talk. I love people who dig analytics, in fact i married one.

more on outlook I use taglocity personally.

kmac said...

you're a nerd.

Sarah said...

I just downloaded it. as if i need to produce more graphs.