Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cake


My corporate life as of late:

"Bake me a cake" says the man upstairs.

"No problem, sir." I respond. "I'll need 6 eggs, 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, some vanilla and some icing."

"No problem." He responds.

2 days pass, while I'm making the cake.

The phone rings.

"Kim, I still need that cake. But you're going to have to make it with half the eggs."

"Sir," I humbly reply, "I don't know if I can do that and still make a decent cake."

"Kim - bake the cake. 1/2 the egss. Talk to you in 2 days."

So I slave away in my bakery, trying to figure out how to make the cake with 1/2 the eggs I was originally planning on.

Two days later, the phone rings.

"Kim's bakery. How may I help you?"

"Kim, about the cake..." comes a familiar voice over the phone. "I'm going to have to ask you to make it with no flour."

"No flour?" I reply, holding back the panic that seems to be creeping steadily into my tone of voice.

"That's right - no flour. You'll have to give me a cake with 3 eggs, sugar, vanilla and icing. Actually, hold off on that vanilla for now. I'll get back to you."

Two days pass.

The phone rings again.

"Hello?" I answer tentatively, not wanting to hear his familiar voice.

"Kim, I've been looking at the recipe again. It's calling for way too many ingredients. You're going to have to do with just one egg, 1/2 the sugar, and no icing."

"So sir, let me get this straight. You want me to make you a cake with 1 egg and 1/2 a cup of sugar?"

"Yep. And have it on my desk by 8AM tomorrow."

So back to the bakery I go, late at night, to figure out this cake. Since the man upstairs called at 10PM, it's going to be a long night to try to make my deadline.

Finally, I come up with something that I think might work. I drive back into the office and present him with the "cake".

Upon sampling the concoction, he spits it out. "Kim! This is nothing but flavorless meringue! I thought I asked you for a cake!?!?!"

So, who wants dessert?

No comments: