Friday, November 03, 2006

Fun for free!

For our date night this week, Amar and I went to a book reading. Prior to that, I had never been to a book reading before. But let me just tell you, my friends, it was really worth the time. And it was free, so it was definitely worth the money ;)

We went to hear John Hodgman. Three weeks ago I had no idea who this guy was. I think his book was linked to in some article I was reading, so I looked into what he was working on. Once I saw a picture of him, I instantly recognized him from the Apple ads. He's the PC guy.

So I read about his book, about his sense of humor, and I also started reading his blog. He seemed to have a dry, nerdy sense of humor (I mean that in a good way, John, if you're reading this). And honestly, that was somewhat appealing to me. I was hoping he'd be the same in person.

Well, he was. And it was a riot.

The second floor of Book People was filled with eager fans. We got there early and got pretty good seats. He and his troubadour, Jonathan Coulton, put on quite a nice show. Jonathan even performed his original piece titled "Code Monkey" which seemed to be quite a hit with the crowd.

Last night we caught him on the Daily Show, as he is their Resident Expert. Not bad at all, my friends...

Here's a link to his book: The Areas of My Expertise. If you're the kind of person that's into fake trivia, then you should really check it out. Or, if you're the kind of person that gets a kick out of reading 700 hobo names, then this book is also for you. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

malita said...

it's Davy Crockett