Thursday, August 03, 2006

Open letter to the office AC unit

Hi there,
It's me. You know, the skinny white girl who can never feel her feet because of how cold you keep it around here. Yeah, me. How are you? You seem to be having a great day today, as usual.

I wanted to confront you about something. You seem to be a bit of a workaholic. I know, I know. It's 105 degrees outside so you feel obligated to keep us nice and cool while we're inside. You want to create for us a bit of an oasis. A refuge from the heat.

Well, I think you accomplished that awhile back. Pace yourself. Slow it down a bit. We work in cubicles, not meat lockers. We have refrigerators on each floor to store our food. You don't have to keep it cold enough at our desks to actually keep our lunches from going bad.

Please understand me here, I think you're great. But you can seriously take a break every now and then. Honestly, it's August and I'm wearing two sweaters at my desk. Something just isn't right about that.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Open Letter...

kimmie said...

ouch

amar rama said...

tch tch... building readership for your blog is kind of like taking a company public.

People read your blog, they start enjoying your blog, next thing you know they think it is all about them :) and offer unsolicited feedback.

http://www.horsepigcow.com/2006/08/fear-of-unfamous.html

Anonymous said...

I thought feedback in general was explicitly solicited on "De-lurking Day"...

amar rama said...

Becks,
hrmm.. good point :-). I agree with you, feedback is great. I am not against feedback but against the thought and motivation behind it.

Let us say I enjoy a certain painters work at my local art shop. One day the painter changes style and maybe I don't like the work anymore.

At this point it is okay for me to say "dude I don't dig your works anymore" but it seems a little over the top for me to say "i think your new style is bad and you need to go back to your old style". Maybe the painter was not creating the painting just for me.

I have been on this criticism is over rated kick lately ;-) so I might be reacting strongly too.

Seth Godin on critics

kimmie said...

Folks,
Comments are always welcome. Always. Dom, that did hurt my feelings a little, to be honest. But how were you to know that? I trust that your motivation was honesty rather than anything else.

So keep the comments coming :)

I said I would do a week of open letters, and a week I shall do. Or at least 4 days, since I probably won't post over the weekend. Hang in there with me, will you?

hlw said...

Same problem here!!

Anonymous said...

I like the open letter format...

kimmie said...

Thanks Jim. Thanks Amar and Heather and Becks and Dom.

Next week, stay tuned for the story of the great would-be tomato heist. That is, if Noell will let me write about it before she can...

Anonymous said...

Amar Rama,

Well put and I completely agree. My point was merely that when an artist willingly opens themselves up for criticism, they should expect positive and negative criticism, a fact which our gracious artist here has willingly accepted. They should expect it because like it or not, they are probably going to get both.

Isn't it a little ironic to criticize the critic for his criticism?

Anonymous said...

Amar,

It is commonly known that I am universally misunderstood.

amar rama said...

I thank the gracious artist for her grace and I am grateful that I am no longer uncommon because of my ignorance of certain universal truth. I appreciate clarifications and I am delighted when contradictions can be challenged and removed.

Now Austin can go back to being what it was I hope :-)