Friday, January 14, 2005

McFunny

So I read this article the other day about a baby born at McDonald's. At first glance, I couldn't figure out why it was funny. Then I re-read it and realized that the lady's last name is actually McDonald.

Seriously, if I was in a similar circumstance (which I'm not likely to be any time soon, and there are no fast food establishments that are even close to having the same name that I do), I would just wait until I passed a Taco Bell, or a Denny's (unless my last name was Bell or Denny, then I would go with McDonald's). You get the idea... Now the poor kid is going to live with this his whole life.

And while I'm on the subject of random news, I thought I would mention this article while I'm at it. You can not seriously tell me that the President of the United States actually calls the President of Russia "Pootie-Poot." (And now I can't actually believe that I typed that out!) Don't get me wrong, I'm all for nicknames, having collected my fair share over the years. But some just cross that invisible line that we all know shouldn't be crossed. So I guess we're all wondering what Putin calls our President....another story for another time, I guess.

So on to bigger and better topics. Last night at Bible study we discussed the book of Acts, and it's probable author Luke. Apparently there has been a debate going within the church for many centuries about whether Luke was a Gentile or a Jew. We referenced this article by Dr. Thomas McCall, as well as another article by William Foxwell Albright (sorry, no direct link to the article, but this guy is a Biblical archaeology guru!). This debate is somewhat new to me, but I find it interesting to challenge some of the "traditional" things that many churches teach. Not for the sake of challenging, but for the sake of coming to understand the truth for yourself. Just a thought. All in all, it was a good discussion, and I'm looking forward to studying Acts in more detail.

No comments: