Wednesday, July 06, 2005

All my bags are packed

Well, not really. But that's the beginning of the song that just popped into my head. A friend of mine gave me a copy of Sinatra singing "Leaving on a jet plane" and I can just hear his crooning as I type this.

I'm getting excited about my upcoming trip. Only about 7 days to go, until I'm flying briskly over the Pacific. The largest leg of my trip will be a 14 hour plane ride, so I'm planning on taking some serious reading material. Not that the material will be of serious content, but rather, reading materials in serious quantities. I'll probably take the Chronicles of Narnia, which should be a good start. Any other plane reading suggestions?

My friend John is soon traveling to India for work. I'd like to go there someday. Two of my most fascinating friends are from India, and I've been intrigued by the culture ever since I worked with some grad students in college that hailed from that far away land.

I finished my typhoid pills last night, finally, but I guess you can't get an immunization from the travel bug. Ah, well, I'm off to bed. Sleep well, everyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is the other :-)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog and thought I'd make a reading suggestion. "The Handmaids Tale" by Margret Atwood. Also another good book from the same author: "The Edible Woman"
Both books are a little bizarre, but I couldn't put either one down. Hope you enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Kim -- great blog! I hadn't ever been here before but will have to make it a regular stop. I was also planning on reading the Chronicles of Narnia again when I have a chance to bring them over from the US. A couple of India related suggestions since you are on that kick -- "The God of Small Things" by Arundati Roy (Indian author -- not a Christian book in case you are wondering). "City of Joy" by Dominique LaPierre. LaPierre isn't an Indian name, but it is about Calcutta. A little bit depressing at times, so maybe not the best read for a trip to EA, but it is definitely lengthy if that is what you are looking for.

kimmie said...

Great to hear from you, Scott. And might I add, excellent beard you're working on. I'll check those suggestions out - thanks!

Anonymous said...

Narnia... delicious. good choice. Another India book - Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It's one of the books that I assigned my kids for summer reading. It's about a kid who gets shipwrecked in the Pacific with a bunch of zoo animals - great traveling book.

Love ya...

kimmie said...

Yeah, my friend Kim just told me about that. I may check it out. But does that mean that I owe you a report about it in August?