Thursday, August 06, 2009

Back from "vacation"

Amar and I have been volunteering with the Youth Group at our church since about February. Most recently, we got to go to Summer Camp (aka Camp Braveheart) over the last week, and we had a blast.

The theme was Saul and David, and subsequently, we were asked to be characters that represented each of those figures (I was Saul, General McKinsie; Amar was David - General Callahan). Our roles mainly consisted of leading groups of students during game time. We each led our team like Saul or David would have led their army.

Amar was victorious occasionally, followed the rules, sought guidance from God and was generally pleasant to be around.

I, on the other hand, apparently scared the 8th grade boys.

I won most of our face-offs, not due to the talent of my team so much as due to my ability to cheat, be ultra-competitive, refuse to accept defeat, and focus on giving playing time to the known athletes. Also, I did a lot of screaming.

All in all, it was a ton of fun. But I was quickly reminded by about day 3 that I'm now an "old person" and thus, can't play 3 hours of volleyball in 100 degree heat like I used to.

I'll post some pictures soon, but wanted to blog because it's been, well, eons since I last posted.

Much love to you all. And if you have a rag-tag group of teens that you need motivated, don't hesitate to call!

No comments: