Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy valentine's day


It's no secret that I work in a predominantly male field. My recent observations put the ratio somewhere around 5:1…sometimes even higher. Not only am I outnumbered, but I'm out aged as well. Most of my co-workers have kids my age, possibly even grand kids my age. You get the picture.

On my way to lunch, three of the guys approached me, apparently discussing the topic of they day.

"Kim," one of them started, "today is Valentine's Day."

I braced for 1) potential cheesy joke, 2) potential inappropriate joke, though those are rare with these guys or 3) potential Valentine's related question.

"Let's say you're getting a gift. A big gift."

I nodded, immediately picturing those Lexus ads from Christmas…the cars with the big bows.

"Would you also want a card with the gift?"

I could see where this was going. I paused to consider my answer. In fact, just yesterday remembered that I had been listening to a radio host discuss this exact topic.

"Guys," I began cautiously…"the card is like the icing…"

Before I could finish my sentence, one of them shouted "See!! I told you!!!"




Good luck out there, ladies.

3 comments:

malita said...

Well just like in dessert i like the cake more than the icing - in fact easy on the icing - put maximum effort into the cake - same on the card vs gift vs gift with card - maximum effort on the gift please - could care less about the card at all!! Unless there is a gift in the card...

hlw said...

LOL! Great response!

hlw said...

Kim - that was the "icing" comment you said and wrote about ... nice.